FIX: Windows Vista Folder View Issue

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.   -- Friedrich von Schiller

I don't know about you, but in our "Things I hate most about Windows Vista" poll, one of the most frequently ticked topics was "Folders that refuse to remember the view settings you've set".  If you set a Details View with "All Items" on a folder and then drop a couple of jpegs in there, Vista tries to "help you" by changing the view. Well, I don't WANT Vista to help me! I don't want Documents, I don't want Pictures and Videos, and I don't like Green Eggs and Ham! (In the forums they are calling it "VisDUH").

Here's a fix from the TechNet forums, converted into a batch file:

 setlocal

set BASE_KEY=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

:: Delete cached folder views
reg delete "%BASE_KEY%\Bags" /f
reg delete "%BASE_KEY%\BagMRU" /f

:: Set default folder template
reg add "%BASE_KEY%\Bags\AllFolders\Shell" /v FolderType /d NotSpecified

:: Restart Explorer
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
start explorer.exe

Just save the above text in a "FIX.BAT" file and execute it. It also restarts Explorer.

Comments

  1. Anonymous3:39 AM

    didnt work for me (german vista)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:14 AM

    Worked like a charm, thanks :)

    Run as admin by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU!!! it worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I opened cmd "as administrator" and it worked to perfection. Thanks much!
    -
    I also noticed that my vista explorer is FASTER and I don't have to wait a second each time I go to another folder.
    -
    Thanks very much:-) You saved me hours and hours of future time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:06 PM

    Thanks this worked great

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:23 AM

    It worked for me. Watch out not to add an trailing space to the lines when copy and pasting it to a batch file.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:53 PM

    Yes!!!! Wonderful!!! Finally I'm happy! It was very very very annoying!! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simone B.5:18 PM

    Great!!! It worked very well!! VISTA 32bit Italian version!!! Thx again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FIREFOX / IE Word-Wrap, Word-Break, TABLES FIX

Some observations on Script Callbacks, "AJAX", "ATLAS" "AHAB" and where it's all going.

ASP.NET "App_Data": Writing files vs Application Restarts