OpenID - Ready for Prime Time?

(Subtitle: "Reality.sys not found. Universe halted.")

I saw a video on OpenId by Simon Williston, and checked out the main site, and I did manage to find an implementation of server and client for ".NET", but - it was ported from something for MONO, there was no source code, and the original was written in BOO for .NET.

There seems to be a lot of activity around OpenId, one could possibly make the case that this represents what Microsoft hoped to do with Passport (oh, wait, I think it's "LiveID" now), or at least what everybody else hoped to do with it.

The concept is pretty simple, you get a URI that exclusively identifies you and is difficult to spoof, and it allows you to do single sign-on (or at least use the same credentials mechanism) at multiple sites.

I have no particular problem with BOO, I could use SharpDevelop, which supports it, but my real question is why isn't this authored in an industry - standard certified CLI language such as C#? It just seem like so much stuff was cobbled together, I think at this point the best thing to do is wait.

I like the concept, and I'd implement it on sites I develop, but not without a lot more infrastructure support and less FUD.

A recent survey of the Fortune 1000 websites by Port80 Software shows that Microsoft's Internet Information Services (IIS) is being used by 54.9 percent of companies. and the ASP.NET platform is being run by 48.4 percent of the companies. You can dispute the figures as being biased but the bottom line is, if you want to gain broad acceptance of a platform or standard, you have to embrace the entire market, not just the Penguinistas. This, to me, represents a gaping hole in whatever marketing strategy the OpenId crowd may have.


This is one of the trouble areas that you can find with open-source initiatives -- you can get a kind of fragmentation where individual efforts go off in different directions, and although the intentions are noble, there may not be some central authority that helps to tie everything together and you run the risk of having a real mess on your hands. I really hope they get it sorted out better. I am a big proponent of open-source software and platforms. It's just that open-source still requires leadership and proper management to succeed.

Just my $0.02 .

Comments

  1. Note: the OpenID main site is located at openid.net. The page you reference as the "main site" is just the OpenID wiki.

    As for the lack of support for .NET its definitely not intentional. When we wrote the .NET library we did so to round out the full suite of web libraries we were already doing. Unfortunately, there was simply a lack of interest in the .NET library so we have let it lapse.

    As the OpenID platform grows, invariably someone will pick up the ball and develop an open source version (maybe even starting off from where we did) of the .NET library. It was not about just catering to the penguinistas, it was about catering to existing demand.

    For OpenID to really, really take off we're going to need everything. Heck, I'm hearing people ask me "is there a library for C++?" The more the merrier when it comes to library support, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for correcting the link, I've changed it in the post.

    I understand the .NET effort was not intentional, what bothers me is the claim there was a lack of interest.

    I find this difficult to fathom, considering the large number of active .NET developers in the global marketplace. I don't have the time or I'd do it myself. But I thing putting out something with the moniker "C#" on it and having it written in BOO with dependencies that come from MONO isn't a step in the right direction, its more like "lip service".

    I'm not sure you need a C++ library as most web development is done in PHP, ASP (Classic), ROR, and ASP.NET (including to a lesser extent, MONO).

    Best of luck, and thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:59 PM

    Yeah, right, BOO, omgwtf. I sense an act of subconscious sabotage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FIREFOX / IE Word-Wrap, Word-Break, TABLES FIX

Some observations on Script Callbacks, "AJAX", "ATLAS" "AHAB" and where it's all going.

ASP.NET "App_Data": Writing files vs Application Restarts