Greetings from Orlando! (and IPV6 addresses, and "Don's Shell"...)

A man speaks to his doctor after an operation. He says, "Doc, now that the surgery is done, will I be able to program in C#?" The doctor replies, "Of course!" The man says, "Good, because I couldn't before!"


Yes, Tech-Ed is in Orlando once again!

Q. Are you going to be there?

A. No, but I do live in the Orlando area so I'll be at the Influencers party at Margaritaville Wednesday evening


Q. Then why did you post "Greetings from Orlando".

A. Every other slob in the Universe seems to think it's important, and so i didn't want to be left out.

Q. Why aren't you going to be at Tech-Ed?

A. I'm very busy. I'm writing code. And frankly, I'm "conferenced to death" and need a break. To illustrate my point, I went over to the Convention Center to pick up my ticket to the influencers party. I saw a lot of .Netters walking around at Tech-Ed. Most of them looked downright tired! Besides, Dr. Dotnetsky told me not to go, and I respect his opinion.

There! Now that made me feel better!

IPV6 Address Issues

Q. Why does "Request.UserIPAddress" returns an empty IPV6address when I run (both serve and browse) my asp.net app on WindowsVista? It all works fine on Windows XP Pro: a regular IPV4 address isreturned.
How can I force the code to always use the IPV4 address, even onWindows Vista?
A. (via Mark Rae on dotnet.framework.aspnet):

using System.Net;

public static string GetIP4Address()
{
string strIP4Address = String.Empty;
foreach (IPAddress objIP in
Dns.GetHostAddresses(HttpContext.Current.Request.UserHostAddress))
{
if (objIP.AddressFamily.ToString() == "InterNetwork")
{
strIP4Address = objIP.ToString();
break;
}
}
if (strIP4Address != String.Empty)
{
return strIP4Address;
}
foreach (IPAddress objIP in Dns.GetHostAddresses(Dns.GetHostName()))
{
if (objIP.AddressFamily.ToString() == "InterNetwork")
{
strIP4Address = objIP.ToString();
break;
}
}
return strIP4Address;
}



Visual Studio Shell

This is kind of interesting, because at the Influencers party, I ran into DonXml (Don Demsak, the "east coast Don") and he was babbling about how he wanted to extend VB.NET with his own keywords. Of course with a Margarita and a couple of beers already washed down, I almost thought he was kidding. At least, I thought he was babbling, but he actually wasn't....

Microsoft is now coming out with the "Visual Studio Shell" - essentially a streamlined Visual Studio development environment that you can customize with your own language, product or application. "Created in response to requests from our partners, the Visual Studio Shell gives you the option of integrating your tools with Visual Studio or creating an isolated, custom-branded application..."

So Don, innovator that he is, was actually not far off base at all. Interesting.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:36 AM

    Hi Peter. Do you have an RSS feed for your blog? I cant find it.

    TIA

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's back there now, in the upper right pane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:10 PM

    Thanks alot, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FIREFOX / IE Word-Wrap, Word-Break, TABLES FIX

Some observations on Script Callbacks, "AJAX", "ATLAS" "AHAB" and where it's all going.

FIX: Requested Registry Access is not allowed (Visual Studio 2008)